Did you know 90% of the body's diseases show signs and symptoms in the mouth?
- Hormonal changes associated with pregnancy increase a woman's risk for developing gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- Gum disease makes it more difficult for diabetics to control their blood sugar. In fact, periodontal care can have a positive impact on measures of blood sugars in type 2 diabetics for at least three months.
- Inflammation in the mouth caused by bacteria can increase your risk of a heart attack.
- For cancer patients, chemotherapy drugs kill cancer cells, but may also harm normal cells, including cells in the mouth, which could lead to infection, and reduce the body's ability to fight infections.
- Transplant patients need good oral health before they are eligible to receive a transplant and to help reduce the risk of infection afterwards.